Monday 27 October 2014

Review: The Cognitive Challenge of War: Prussia 1806


The Cognitive Challenge of War: Prussia 1806
The Cognitive Challenge of War: Prussia 1806 by Peter Paret

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Excellent combination of military, art, social and intellectual history of the Prussian defeat at Jena and Auerstedt in 1806, and how it affected Prussian (and German) society, army and politics. Finally Paret distills this in an discussion of Clausewitz' theories on warfare, which he shows were influenced by much more than just military events.

I love how Paret weaves books like Kleist's The Prince of Homburg and paintings like The Chasseur in the Woods into his argument. Fascinating in their own right, especially in their relevance at the time they were made, they also have a wider significance.

One of the bravest books by a military historian.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate comments. Let me know what you think!